Re: [Exim] Hostname used in HELO

Autor: Matt Saunders
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Hostname used in HELO
On Sep 16, Dave C. wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Matt Saunders wrote:

> > > Thanks Philip, I suspected that was the case.
> >
> > What'd be _really_ handy for those of us who run Exim on laptops which
> > are lugged around and plugged into a variety of different networks
> > would be a mechanism whereby Exim reverse-resolves the IP address
> > it's sending mail out on and uses that in HELO.
>
> If you're not on a fixed IP address, you shouldn't be functioning as a
> 'server' anyway. You should be using a server that is on a fixed IP
> address as a relay host.

Well, that's OK for me since I have the option of using TLSed ASMTP
to a server on a fixed IP. But without that option I'd be stuck
as I'd have to use a different relay host depending where I was
plugged in (Easynet's at work, NTL's at home, and $RANDOMISP's when
I roam elsewhere). This is why I prefer to be a "server" and send
mail directly.

Besides, I think it's inelegant to have a HELO/rDNS mismatch whether
you're using a smarthost or not, so, given that it's still on the
wishlist I'll be knocking something up to make use of Patrice's
suggestion in the meantime. :-)

> > I think Sendmail does that, something I've always considered to be a
> > bit evil, but I can see the potential benefits in it now!

Matt.

--
  Matt Saunders                     matt.saunders@???
    Services Support Manager          tel: +44 (0)20 7032 7000