Re: [Exim] Clarification on Exim functions

Autor: Jerry A!
A: Tony Finch
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Clarification on Exim functions
On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 05:45:12PM +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
: Jerry A! <jerry@???> wrote:
: >On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 09:58:07AM +0100, Jeff AA wrote:
: >:
: >: When we switched to Debian two years ago, from a mixture of RH / SuSE,
: >: we had to decide whether to use Exim or continue to use Postfix and
: >: Sendmail MTAs. We decided that in light of the other quality Debian
: >: decisions, that we would go with the flow.
: >
: >Just to be fair, I wouldn't consider this a decision an endorsement of
: >quality. The reason Exim is the default MTA in Debian is b/c it's the
: >*only* GPL'd MTA.
:
: The reason Debian currently uses Exim is because it used to use smail.
: They wanted to switch because development on smail was slow and Exim
: was very similar but much more functional. They originally chose smail
: because it was much easier to configure than Sendmail, and at that
: time there weren't many other options -- MMDF is closed-source, Zmailer
: is too heavyweight, and there was no qmail or postfix.

Check the archives. As I've already stated, qmail and postfix (as
vmailer) were around and in use, and part of the discussions.

MMDF is not closed-source. Proudly developed at the University of
Delaware (my alma mater) up until the early 90's. It was a dead-end
product by the time these discussions came about.

        --Jerry

Open-Source software isn't a matter of life or death...
...It's much more important than that!