Re: [Exim] New Server Specs?

Autor: Glen Mehn
A: Jeffrey Wheat
CC: Exim Users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] New Server Specs?
Jeffrey Wheat wrote:

>Hello all, I would like to get a few opinions for building my next
>mail server. I am presently running a dual processor, PIII-833
>with 1.5G RAM and 3ware disk controller running FreeBSD. I am noticing
>a performance issue when trying to run sopie/spamassassin together.
>The problem is that perl consumes most of the cpu while spamassassin
>is enabled, thus driving the system load to well over 16.5. With just
>sophie running, the load stays around 0.5 - 1.0. The server needs to be
>able to handle around 350,000 mails a day, running Exim, Courier IMAP,
>Sophie and SpamAssassin.
>
>I am considering a quad Intel PIII 700 XEON or a dual Intel P-4 2G
>system with 2G - 4G of RAM. Can anyone with a similar mail load or
>greater share their experiences?
>
>Many thanks in advance,

I think that there are some serious performance issues in SA, this from
an acquaintance who got *very* deep into the code.

You might consider running a separate box (if rack space permits) to do
SA and sophos. exim's only bottleneck will be i/o. You might also check
with the SA list, as that's where your problem seems to be localised.

-g