Re: [Exim] Quota Warning - Redux

Autor: Russell Wilton
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Quota Warning - Redux
Philip Hazel wrote:

>> Also, the Exim 3 book has a comment to the effect that the warning
>>message is sent only once, but it doesn't say how it keeps track of
>>that, and I can't find any reference to it in the Ver 4 spec.
>>

>It sends the warning when the size of the mailbox crosses the threshold.
>That's what the comment about sending only once means. Of course, if the
>mailbox drops below the threshold and then crosses it again, the user
>gets another warning. (This behaviour is one of the reasons why we
>stopped using it, in fact. We have users who get the occasional very
>large message and immediately copy it out of their mailbox. They didn't
>like getting a warning every time.)
>
>I think I've come round to the view that trying to do this kind of
>warning in the MTA is not the best approach. Another way to do it would
>be to run some other program that goes around scanning mailbox sizes,
>and has its own rules for when to send warnings.

Thanks Phillip. I have a cron job that scans for people nearly over
quota and sends them a warning. I was hoping I could scrap it but maybe
it really is the best way to do it.

Russ

--
Russell D. Wilton                     E Mail: WILTON@???
Network Services Manager              Voice:   (403) 329-2525