Re: [Exim] Quota Warning - Redux

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Russell Wilton
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Quota Warning - Redux
On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Russell Wilton wrote:

> My question of a few days ago about quota warnings seems to have gone
> by without comment. Is nobody using the quota warning facility of the
> appendfile transport?

We stopped using it in the end because we decided it was not as helpful
as we thought it would be.

> Also, the Exim 3 book has a comment to the effect that the warning
> message is sent only once, but it doesn't say how it keeps track of
> that, and I can't find any reference to it in the Ver 4 spec.

It sends the warning when the size of the mailbox crosses the threshold.
That's what the comment about sending only once means. Of course, if the
mailbox drops below the threshold and then crosses it again, the user
gets another warning. (This behaviour is one of the reasons why we
stopped using it, in fact. We have users who get the occasional very
large message and immediately copy it out of their mailbox. They didn't
like getting a warning every time.)

I think I've come round to the view that trying to do this kind of
warning in the MTA is not the best approach. Another way to do it would
be to run some other program that goes around scanning mailbox sizes,
and has its own rules for when to send warnings.