Re: [Exim] Lousy error message when verify = header_sender f…

Autor: Greg Ward
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Lousy error message when verify = header_sender fails
On 06 September 2002, Philip Hazel said:
> That's wrong. What you want is
>
>      deny    !senders = :
>              message  = no valid sender address in any header line
>              !verify  = header_sender

> (or stick "message" first) because a "message" item applies to failures
> that happen after it has been processed. If you put it last, it won't
> have been seen before the denial happens.

Oh! I did not realize that. I made that change and it had absolutely
no effect whatsoever. Good to know I'm doing things (theoretically)
wrong -- guess I'd better fix all my ACLs.

> > 451 Temporary local problem - please try later
>
> That bland wording is the default for temporary failures.

That's fine -- I much prefer it to qmail-style "I'm sorry it didn't work
out". But is there any way to override it here? I'd be much happer
with, say,

451 Temporary problem - unable to verify header sender address(es)

or something. Right now, if I see "Temporary local problem", I think
"uh-oh! bug in my local_scan() function!", because I have things setup
to return LOCAL_SCAN_TEMPREJECT if my Python local_scan() raises an
exception. So having that message scattered around the logs is not good
for my self-confidence. ;-)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward <gward@???>                         http://www.gerg.ca/