[Exim] Saving rejected mail

Autor: Greg Ward
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Saving rejected mail
Hi all --

Like many of you, I have a broad range of anti-junk-mail defences
implemented with ACLs. I now have a slightly unusual requirement: I'd
like to save all of those rejected messages, preferably while still
rejecting them in the SMTP sense. (Mainly I want to build up a complete
collection of the server's incoming traffic for N days, to help test out
a new spam detector and compare the new spam detector with the existing
system [ACLs + SpamAssassin run from local_scan()]. Of course, this
will also let me to see just how effective my various ACLs conditions
are.)

Anyways, I'd like to hear if anyone has any bright ideas on how to
implement this. What I'm doing now is re-implementing all of my ACL
conditions in local_scan(). Any message that would have been rejected
by the ACLs will now be rejected by local_scan(), and at the same time
the message is written to a Maildir. (The message is saved entirely
behind Exim's back, hence my use of Maildir -- it's so easy to
implement.) This isn't as painful as it sounds, since my local_scan()
is written in Python rather than C, but it's still kind of a hack.

So: once an ACL decides that a message is to be rejected, is that it --
all is lost, gone, and out the window? Or is there a way (however
sneaky) to get my hands on the headers and body just long enough to save
them to disk somewhere?

Thanks --

        Greg
--
Greg Ward <gward@???>                         http://www.gerg.ca/
I just heard the SEVENTIES were over!!  And I was just getting in touch