Re: [Exim] Bad News about the Exim Book

Author: Sam Varghese
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Bad News about the Exim Book
On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 04:09:48PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Sam Varghese wrote:
>
> > I'm not in the book publishing business but I am willing to contribute
> > towards getting the second edition out. The only thing I ask for is a copy.
> > If everyone on the list puts in their weight, I'm sure we can get the
> > book out - maybe a reduced print run but it would be worth it.
>
> Thank you for your support. I have already got a "print only,
> no royalties, mail-order only" offer as a final fallback. However, I'd
> like first to see if there are any traditional publishers who are
> interested. (The money is nice, but less important - distribution
> channels are of relevance.)

G'day Philip,

Frankly, I'm not surprised at O'Reilly's attitude.

The first thing to ascertain is whether you have copyright to what has
already been published. The copyright on the edition I have (US edition)
is with O'Reilly but depending on the contract you have with them it may
still rest with you. Out here, in Australia, the copyright remains with
the writer no matter where it is published but a separate contract can
always override that.

My family and I receive about 300 pieces of mail a day using Exim. A
project at which I help (www.vicnet.net.au/~rpds) caters to about 50
disabled and elderly people and all of them get their mail through Exim.
And I would guess that these two examples are on the lower side as far
as mail volume goes. So Exim has a very good reason to have a second
book.

I would strongly urge you to look at Tech Publications, Singapore. I
have a couple of their books and the printing is good, accurate and the
price is much lower than books printed in the West. They have tie-ups
with publishers in other countries as well.

I have no connection with any publisher - though had I been in my home
country, India, I could have easily found you a publisher on very good
terms. In Australia, it would not be cost-effective to even try.

Finally, for what it's worth, this is another indication that one must
be wary of Eric Raymond and his gang of "open source" capitalists. To
them the dollar is everything. RMS is probably less refined but he rings
true and does not compromise.

Cheers,

Sam
- --
Sam Varghese
http://www.gnubies.com
Linux and all free software is not about money but the improvement of
community.