Re: [Exim] rsmtp: to many processes

Autor: Joerg Sommer
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] rsmtp: to many processes
Philip Hazel schrieb :
> On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Joerg Sommer wrote:
>
>> That's difficult (see the posting from Jochen). But I have the
>> possiblity, because there is a wraper script for rbsmtp. There I have
>> placed -odq and a call 'exim -q'. I will see if it works, but a good
>> solution it isn't.
>
> What do you want "a good solution" to do? Do you want it to deliver each
> incoming message before reading the next one? That could delay your

No.

> Personally, I think "a good solution" is "accept all this mail, stick it
> on your queue" so that the rsmtp command runs as quickly as possible.
> You can do this with -odq or by using queue_only_file (as was pointed
> out).

Yes, this is one solution. Another, IMHO better for batches, would be, if
rsmtp put all messages in a queue and if the end of the batch is reached,
it starts a queue runner.

The top solution is, rsmtp puts every mail in the queue and starts a queue
runner, if there aren't more then queue_run_max. If a queue runner
delivers his mails, he looks if there are new mail arrived. If not it
quits.

The point at the default behaviour, that distrub me, is that there more
then queue_run_max processes started for delivering a batch.

Joerg.