[Exim] Virus scanning - Exiscan? Mailscanner? Amavis?

Autor: D.M.Chapman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Virus scanning - Exiscan? Mailscanner? Amavis?
Ok, we currently have a couple of mail hubs running exim 3 with mailscanner.
These are shipping something like 40000 emails a day in term (each - 80k
in total).

Since mailscanner was added they have started to creak (as expected) from
the increased load so we are looking to see what it the best way forward.
It will be exim 4 based but as for virus scanning I am not too sure the
best way forward. We have a site licence for sophos sweep so we will
be using that as the engine but other than that I am open to suggestions.

What do other sites use? Currently we are running on a v100 and an ultra 5
so the hardware is not exactly overly powerful - mailscanner is working but
I am happy to move to another product if there are good reasons.

From what I have seen, exiscan patches exim - this sounds like a less
resource hungry way of doing things? Mailscanner seems to work at the
moment but I like the way exiscan seems to "extend" exim whereas mailscanner
is a seperate product. Amavis is not something I have looked into at all
yet but it has certainly not been ruled out.

Pros/cons of the various solutions? What sort of set up are other sites
running at the moment (reply off list if you want - I'll summarise to the
list).

A future extention to this would be something like spamassasin - probably
as an opt-in service on seperate machines. Again, experience of this would
be interesting (particularly the sort of hardware that is being used).

Thanks for any info,

Darren