Re: [Exim] Virus scanning - Exiscan? Mailscanner? Amavis?

Autor: Tony Finch
A: mallet
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Virus scanning - Exiscan? Mailscanner? Amavis?
"Suresh Ramasubramanian" <mallet@???> wrote:

>I'd farm the load of virus scanning off to a separate box with fastish hard
>disks (heck, you could just build a fairly cheap pentium machine with a
>large scsi hard disk), rather than burden your mailhubs.

One machine is not going to have enough CPU or reliability for this job.
It makes sense to do it on the mail hubs because you want to scan all
mail for viruses (incoming and outgoing) and all mail goes through the
hubs. No point in duplicating functionality.

>To reduce the load on your machines, I'd suggest running something like LDAP
>or MySQL so that your mailhubs have a reasonable view of your userdb
>@ukc.ac.uk (need not have access to the actual LDAP server - but replication
>could be considered...).

That's not possible if the mail hubs are forwarding other domains' mail
to other mail servers run by other people, so the hubs can't know which
local-parts are valid. However call-forward recipient checking comes to
the rescue.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@???> http://dotat.at/
SOUTHEAST ICELAND: MAINLY SOUTHERLY 3 OR 4, OCCASIONALLY 5 LATER. OCCASIONAL