Re: [Exim] STARTTLS

Autor: James P. Roberts
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] STARTTLS
> On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 11:21:11AM +0200, Ian Barnes wrote:
> > I am running a freebsd 4.6 server with exim 3.36. I am using TLS and
> > AUTH for SMTP. The problem is when i try and connect to the server
> > from a select few machines, i get a 500: Unknown command error. This
> > is strange as it works from other machines fine. I telnet into port
> > 25, this is what i type :
>
> Are you running Norton Anti-virus (or some other similar AV software)
> locally?
>
> ``intercepting proxies'' :-(
>
> MBM

Quite right. You'll want to disable virus scanning of OUTGOING emails on the
machines that can't connect. It's probably OK to leave scanning of incoming stuff
turned on. Maybe someday Norton will fix this problem...

IFF that doesn't fix the problem, the only other possibility that I can think of
depends on how those other machines are connected to the internet. Many ISPs
intercept all calls to port 25, and route them through their own servers (I
understand it's an anti-spam measure). And of course, those servers don't
recognize STARTTLS. Easy to check, just verify what host is actually responding
to a manual telnet to port 25, from the machines that are broken. Make sure it is
actually your server! (Surprised the bejeebers out of me the first time I saw
this happen). There is a method to get around this; it is detailed in the mailing
list archives, I am sure.

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.