[Exim] Question on :fail: and mail router

Autor: Steven Christensen
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Question on :fail: and mail router
Hello,

I run a little personal mail server behing BellSouth DSL, using exim
3.2 on a linux box. In order to send mail, I have to route the mail
through BellSouth's mail servers, with a section of my exim.conf file
Router's section like this:

####################################
lookuphost:
driver = domainlist
transport = remote_smtp
route_list = "* mail.bellsouth.net byname"
####################################

This works fine for all of my outgoing mail.

However, if I have an address listed in my /etc/aliases file with the
alias ":fail:" (meaning I want a return message to the sender saying
this user isn't valid), I get the following in my exim log file
(assuming "user@???" is the address who sent this e-mail):

####################################
2002-08-13 18:44:38 17ekP0-0003cQ-00 ** user@??? R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from
remote mailer after RCPT TO:<user@???>: host mail.bellsouth.net [205.152.58.132]:
550 .net 022: Your current IP address is not allowed to relay to yahoo.com
Solution: Connect using BellSouth Internet Service.
2002-08-13 18:44:38 17ekP0-0003cQ-00 Frozen (delivery error message)

This is the same message I used to get before I implemented the router
above. Is there something else I need to do to enable the return
"fail" mesages to go through the same remote smtp router?

Thanks,

    Steven