Re: [Exim] Question on :fail: and mail router

Autor: Jim Knoble
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Question on :fail: and mail router
Circa 2002-Aug-13 19:29:03 -0400 dixit Steven Christensen:

: Hello,
:
: I run a little personal mail server behing BellSouth DSL, using exim
: 3.2 on a linux box. In order to send mail, I have to route the mail
: through BellSouth's servers, with a section of my exim.conf file
: Router's section like this:
:
: ####################################
: lookuphost:
: driver = domainlist
: transport = remote_smtp
: route_list = "* mail.bellsouth.net byname"
: ####################################
:
: This works fine for all of my outgoing mail.
:
: However, if I have an address listed in my /etc/aliases file with the
: alias ":fail:" (meaning I want a return message to the sender saying
: this user isn't valid), I get the following in my exim log file
: (assuming "user@???" is the address who sent this e-mail):
:
:
: ####################################
: 2002-08-13 18:44:38 17ekP0-0003cQ-00 ** user@??? R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from
: remote mailer after RCPT TO:<user@???>: host mail.bellsouth.net [205.152.58.132]:
: 550 .net 022: Your current IP address is not allowed to relay to yahoo.com
: Solution: Connect using BellSouth Internet Service.
: 2002-08-13 18:44:38 17ekP0-0003cQ-00 Frozen (delivery error message)
: ####################################
:
: This is the same message I used to get before I implemented the router
: above. Is there something else I need to do to enable the return
: "fail" mesages to go through the same remote smtp router?

They *are* going through the same router. Look again at the first log
line (minus the date and time for brevity):

  17ekP0-0003cQ-00 ** user@??? R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: SMTP error...
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Something else is wrong. Do you send out the rest of your mail with a
bellsouth.net email address (e.g., mylogin@???)? Perhaps
mail.bellsouth.net is requiring that you use a particular envelope
sender address, but your bounces ("fail" messages) are using the null
address <>. Note the text of mail.bellsouth.net's error message:

550 .net 022: Your current IP address is not allowed to relay to yahoo.com
Solution: Connect using BellSouth Internet Service.

Is your bounce getting sent from a non-BellSouth IP address (e.g., a
laptop connected to a different network)? Perhaps you need to use SMTP
authentication ("AUTH") in order to relay through mail.bellsouth.net
from outside their network.

--
jim knoble | jmknoble@??? | http://www.pobox.com/~jmknoble/
(GnuPG fingerprint: 31C4:8AAC:F24E:A70C:4000::BBF4:289F:EAA8:1381:1491)