Re: [Exim] ACL to verify recipient

Autor: Tom Samplonius
A: Alan J. Flavell
CC: William Craven, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] ACL to verify recipient
On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Alan J. Flavell wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, William Craven wrote:
>
> > I have been noticing lately that a lot of messages in our queue have
> > been frozen because Exim is sending bounce messages to non existant
> > senders (eg forged senders with correct domains - for example
> > bogus@???).
>
> Indeed, this seems to be a popular hobby.
>
> > What I would like to to is reduce the amount of bounce messages by
> > verifying that the recipient address is valid on our system before
> > accepting the message.
>
> Take care that you don't simply hand the spammers an address-checking
> facility for laundering their dirty lists.

Doesn't matter. Spammers really don't care about undeliverables anyway,
just as long as the list is a big as possible. If you mail server accepts
mail with any localpart, spammers can just add a dictionary of common
localparts to your domain, and offer it for sale as 100% gurranteed
deliverable list.

Tom