Re: [Exim] Matching an address (v4)

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Alan J. Flavell
CC: Exim users list
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Matching an address (v4)
On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Alan J. Flavell wrote:

> address@???
> *.domain.example
>
> These were matched in the v3 configuration using e.g
>
> sender_reject_recipients = partial-dbm;/etc/exim/sender_reject.db

... which was confusing because the partial- applied only to part of
what it did.

> There seems to be some confusion amongst us as to how to write this in
> v4. My colleague (currently away on hols) had at first written
>
>   deny    senders = *@partial-dbm;CONFIG_DIR/sender_reject.db

> but had then observed that it wasn't working as intended, and had
> temporarily added a second lookup
>           : dbm;CONFIG_DIR/sender_reject.db

> on the end to get the desired effect.

Indeed.

> When I came to look at this, I interpreted 9.4 and 9.5 to be saying
> that it _should_ be written:
>
>   deny    senders = partial-dbm*@;CONFIG_DIR/sender_reject.db

Section 10.12 points out that you can't use partial lookups like this in
address lists.

> What's the answer, please?

deny senders = *@partial-dbm;CONFIG_DIR/sender_reject.db : \
               dbm;CONFIG_DIR/sender_reject.db : \

does exactly what Exim 3 did. It just has to be specified a bit more
explicitly.

Philip