[Exim] Matching an address (v4)

Autor: Alan J. Flavell
A: Exim users list
Assumpte: [Exim] Matching an address (v4)
We have a db, already started from v3, which contains entries (sender
rejections, as it happens) that are in one of the following format:

address@???

*.domain.example

These were matched in the v3 configuration using e.g

sender_reject_recipients = partial-dbm;/etc/exim/sender_reject.db

There seems to be some confusion amongst us as to how to write this in
v4. My colleague (currently away on hols) had at first written

  deny    senders = *@partial-dbm;CONFIG_DIR/sender_reject.db

but had then observed that it wasn't working as intended, and had
temporarily added a second lookup
                                        : dbm;CONFIG_DIR/sender_reject.db

on the end to get the desired effect.

When I came to look at this, I interpreted 9.4 and 9.5 to be saying
that it _should_ be written:

  deny    senders = partial-dbm*@;CONFIG_DIR/sender_reject.db

However, on trying this I am rewarded with:

check senders = partial-dbm*@;/etc/exim/sender_reject.db
address match: subject=foo@???
pattern=partial-dbm*@;/etc/exim/sender_reject.db
LOG: MAIN PANIC
partial matching is not applicable to whole-address lookups: ignored
"partial-" in "partial-dbm*@;/etc/exim/sender_reject.db"

What's the answer, please?