Re: [Exim] Fetchmail-exim conflict

Author: Jeffrey B. Green
To: Cam Ellison
CC: Exim-Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Fetchmail-exim conflict
Let me take a stab at this. I'd love to be running version 4.10 on a
Debian box, but am a bit slow (not 'afraid') about taking up non-deb
packages, so I'm still at 3.35.

> I'm running exim 4.10 on a Debian box. My service setup is this: I
> have an ISP, and a mail account there, obviously. I also have my own
> domain, using a dynamically-assigned IP number (updated through
> dyndns). I use the latter, mostly (e.g. my access to the exim-users
> list), but do get mail from my ISP mail account.
>
> Fetchmail tries to get mail from that account, but it fails, and
> though I have gone through the exim manual pretty thoroughly (I
> think), I can't figure out how to solve this. Here is a snippet from
> the fetchmail output:
>
> fetchmail: SMTP< 220 treehouse.ellisonet.ca ESMTP Exim 4.10 Sat, 24
> Aug 2002 08:44:12 -0700
> fetchmail: SMTP> EHLO localhost
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250-treehouse.ellisonet.ca Hello localhost [127.0.0.1]
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250-SIZE 52428800
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250-PIPELINING
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250 HELP
> fetchmail: forwarding to localhost
> fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<roygreen@???> SIZE=22065
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250 OK

good so far...

> fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<root@localhost>
> fetchmail: SMTP< 421 Unexpected failure, please try later
> fetchmail: SMTP error: 421 Unexpected failure, please try later
> fetchmail: SMTP listener doesn't like recipient address `root@localhost'

Under Exim 3.x, I'm using

    local_domains = localhost : jbgreen.com

but don't know if that's proper under 4.10.

> fetchmail: SMTP< 220 treehouse.ellisonet.ca ESMTP Exim 4.10 Sat, 24
> Aug 2002 08:44:13 -0700
> fetchmail: SMTP> HELO localhost
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250 treehouse.ellisonet.ca Hello localhost [127.0.0.1]
> fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<FETCHMAIL-DAEMON@???>
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250 OK
> fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<roygreen@???>
> fetchmail: SMTP< 421 Unexpected failure, please try later
> fetchmail: SMTP> RSET
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250 Reset OK
> fetchmail: message camellison@???:1 was not the
> expected length (22062 actual != 22065 expected)
>
> I am unsure whether the "listener doesn't like recipient..." is enough
> to cause failure in itself, or simply messes it up and causes the
> length mismatch.

A 421 error is enough not to get the rest of the message, it will stop
trying there (temporary failure), hence the 'try later' prompt.

Jeff
----

Jeffrey B. Green    Personal Computer Consultant - Las Vegas, Nevada
http://jbgreen.com
Networking Las Vegas Since 1986