[Exim] Fetchmail-exim conflict

Author: Cam Ellison
To: Exim-Users
Subject: [Exim] Fetchmail-exim conflict
I'm running exim 4.10 on a Debian box. My service setup is this: I
have an ISP, and a mail account there, obviously. I also have my own
domain, using a dynamically-assigned IP number (updated through
dyndns). I use the latter, mostly (e.g. my access to the exim-users
list), but do get mail from my ISP mail account.

Fetchmail tries to get mail from that account, but it fails, and
though I have gone through the exim manual pretty thoroughly (I
think), I can't figure out how to solve this. Here is a snippet from
the fetchmail output:

fetchmail: SMTP< 220 treehouse.ellisonet.ca ESMTP Exim 4.10 Sat, 24
Aug 2002 08:44:12 -0700
fetchmail: SMTP> EHLO localhost
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-treehouse.ellisonet.ca Hello localhost [127.0.0.1]
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-SIZE 52428800
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-PIPELINING
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 HELP
fetchmail: forwarding to localhost
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<roygreen@???> SIZE=22065
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 OK
fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<root@localhost>
fetchmail: SMTP< 421 Unexpected failure, please try later
fetchmail: SMTP error: 421 Unexpected failure, please try later
fetchmail: SMTP listener doesn't like recipient address `root@localhost'
fetchmail: SMTP< 220 treehouse.ellisonet.ca ESMTP Exim 4.10 Sat, 24
Aug 2002 08:44:13 -0700
fetchmail: SMTP> HELO localhost
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 treehouse.ellisonet.ca Hello localhost [127.0.0.1]
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<FETCHMAIL-DAEMON@???>
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 OK
fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<roygreen@???>
fetchmail: SMTP< 421 Unexpected failure, please try later
fetchmail: SMTP> RSET
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 Reset OK
fetchmail: message camellison@???:1 was not the
expected length (22062 actual != 22065 expected)

I am unsure whether the "listener doesn't like recipient..." is enough
to cause failure in itself, or simply messes it up and causes the
length mismatch.

I have set "mail.dccnet.com" and "yoda.dccnet.com" (the actual mail
subdomain) as relay_domains, but I'm not sure that's the right thing,
and in any case it does not seem to have any effect.

The fetchmail settings have not been changed since I used exim 3.35
and set mailhost.dccnet.com as a smarthost (before I set up my own
domain).

Please, how do I set this up so I can access both?

TIA

Cam

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.