[Exim] HELO syntax check

Autor: Chris Edwards
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] HELO syntax check
This week's favourite spamware seems to greet us with (literally):

HELO $domain

which is illegal and should be rejected. Sure enough, our 4.10 boxes
respond with:

501 Syntactically invalid HELO argument(s)

which should make a real client go away. But, sadly the spammer ignores
the 501 and sends the spam anyway, which we accept and deliver :-(

Can exim be set up to reject in this case ?

Note we only wish to enforce syntax, not check HELO matches reverse DNS
with helo_verify_hosts and friends.

Not a big problem :)

Chris

exim -bP | grep helo
helo_accept_junk_hosts =
helo_allow_chars = _
helo_lookup_domains = @ : @[]
helo_try_verify_hosts =
helo_verify_hosts =

220 hillhead.cent.gla.ac.uk ESMTP Exim 4.10 Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:05:27 +0100
HELO $domain
501 Syntactically invalid HELO argument(s)
MAIL FROM: <>
250 OK
RCPT TO: <postmaster@???>
250 Accepted