Re: [Exim] HELO syntax check

Autor: Chris Edwards
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] HELO syntax check

| seen the `helo_*' options in spec.txt already ?

Could be missing something. But haven't found it yet...

Setting helo_verify_hosts checks the HELO string exactly matches the
reverse DNS of the calling IP, which is *much* stricter. Sadly on today's
internet this rejects virtually all mail! (perhaps slight exaggeration...)

We simply want to check syntax. The v4 upgrade doc says:

"helo_strict_syntax has been abolished. The default is now to enforce
strict domain syntax for HELO/EHLO arguments. You can use
helo_accept_junk_hosts ifyou want to avoid this."

which seems pretty clear. Our helo_accept_junk_hosts is empty so we
should be enforcing strict syntax. But then 4.10 spec.txt says:

helo_accept_junk_hosts

Exim checks the syntax of HELO and EHLO commands for incoming SMTP mail,
and gives an error response for invalid data

which I suppose it does. But this is hardly rejecting the mail. Shurely
it needs to 550 every subsequent RCPT command ?

Chris