[Exim] Exim-4.10 messages vanishing without a trace.

Autor: Tom Marazita
A: exim-users
CC: toad
Assumpte: [Exim] Exim-4.10 messages vanishing without a trace.
Hi Everyone,

I'm been using exim as our transport since version 2. It works great. I
hope
I never have to use sendmail again.

I recently upgraded to exim-4.10, and it seems to work great too. I
have run
into one problem though that I can't seem to get a handle on. I'm
hoping
the combined wisdom of this list can help.

I have created a minimal configuration file that demonstrates the situation.
It can be found here: http://www.engr.ucsb.edu/~toad/configure.test.html

In a nutshell: "local_domains" is set to "engineering.ucsb.edu". When I
address messages
to user@??? they are delivered as expected; however, if
I address
a message to user@engineering (which is qualified, rewritten and rerouted
via the lookuphost router), the message vanishes without a trace.

"exim -bt user@???" and "exim -bt user@engineering"
both indicate
that the address is routed properly and handed to the proper transport.
Debugging
output from both of these commands can be found here:

http://www.engr.ucsb.edu/~toad/exim-bt-chompdode@engineering.ucsb.edu.html
http://www.engr.ucsb.edu/~toad/exim-bt-chompdode@engineering.html

Log entries for an smtp transaction for each address can be found here:

http://www.engr.ucsb.edu/~toad/exim.deliverylogs.html

As you can see the latter address never actually makes it to the
transport. There's
no log entry as to what happens to it; it just vanishes.

Never one to provide insufficient information, I also tried turning on
"-d+all" on
the exim daemon (I am running it on an alternate port for this testing so
as not to disturb normal mail). The output from both rcpt addresses can be
found here:

http://www.engr.ucsb.edu/~toad/exim-daemon-debug-log-chompdode@engineering.ucsb.edu.html
http://www.engr.ucsb.edu/~toad/exim-daemon-debug-log-chompdode@engineering.html

You can see where the problem occurs for the second address
(chompdode@engineering); the
nis_aliases router says: "chompdode@??? is a duplicate
address: discarded."
No actual addresses are ever delivered to.
It works fine though when the first address
(chompdode@???) is used.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Currently, to ensure that all addresses
are delivered, I have added @mx_any to local_domains; however this is not
my preferred solution as I would like to have MX'ed hostnames
rewritten as "@engineering.ucsb.edu" so as not to perpetuate
the MX hostnames in addresses.

Thanks for your help,
Tom

Tom Marazita, Manager ECI Systems | Engineering Computing Infrastructure
                                   | 3110 Engineering 1
toad@???         | University of California
voice: 805 893-3221               | Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5120