Re: [Exim] SMTP Cluster - Shared Spool?

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Jawaid.Bazyar
CC: exim-users, Suresh Ramasubramanian, bazyar
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] SMTP Cluster - Shared Spool?
On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 Jawaid.Bazyar@??? wrote:

> Physical changes to effect failover is always something I try to avoid
> from an engineering perspective - moving cables around (especially on a
> SCSI bus) can be prone to errors - especially at 4am which is when Murphy
> dictates that computers go down ;)

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that. I was assuming that hardware existed such
that you could just pull a switch. I'm not a hardware person, but I seem
to recall that such things existed on mainframes 20 years or so ago, so
I figured there would be similar things available on today's hardware.

> Another option I guess would be hot-swap drives: in a system have three
> hot-swap drives, the first for system, the second and third for spool
> (mirrored). If the hardware fails you can just move the spool disks to a
> backup server and boot.

Yes, that's more like what I was thinking of.

Philip