[Exim] SMTP Cluster - Shared Spool?

Autor: bazyar
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] SMTP Cluster - Shared Spool?
Hi folks,

I am exploring a clustered email solution. We have gotten to the point
where we need to improve the scalability of our email service.

My first thought involves using a single NFS server backend, with a number
of front-end boxes. The front-ends do SMTP, POP3, and IMAP. The backend
NFS server *only* does NFS. Load-balancing of SMTP etc would be done using
an Alteon layer 3 load-balancing switch.

What I am trying to figure out is how to handle the mail spool. Mailboxes
are no problem, we are already using maildir for them. But can the spool
be stored on the NFS server and shared by the exim daemons running on the
front-end boxes?

This would be on a Linux 2.4 platform. I would prefer a setup / solution
that does not depend on NFS file locking to work (it seems to work with
linux 2.4, but if it can be done without that's best).

Thanks in advance.

Jawaid

--
 Jawaid Bazyar                 |   Affordable WWW & Internet Solutions
 foreThought.net               |   for Small Business