[Exim] ACL "require" being ignored?

Autor: Russell Wilton
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] ACL "require" being ignored?
Hi:
I am running Exim 4.05 on RedHat Linux 7.2. Our campus is behind a
firewall which also provides a "DMZ" area for machines that are
accessible to the Internet. I run one machine (A) in the DMZ which is
set up in our DNS server to be the only access point for incoming mail.
It virus scans and spam scans the mail and then uses manualroute to
pass the acceptable stuff on to any of a set of internal mail hubs. It
uses a nearly default SMTP ACL which includes a "require verify =
sender" command. My main internal mail hub (B) also uses a nearly
default SMTP ACL which includes a "require verify = sender" command.
Neither machine has any "accept" commands before the require other than
one to accept root and postmaster mail.
Looking in the reject log on the internal machine (B) I find many
messages where "Sender verify failed" or "host lookup did not complete".
My question is : Why am I seeing these on the internal machine? Why
didn't the DMZ machine (A) reject them? A "host" or "nslookup" command
on both machines produces the same result: it does not find the rejected
host. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Russ

--
Russell D. Wilton                     E Mail: WILTON@???
Network Services Manager              Voice:   (403) 329-2525