Re: [Exim] Want to generate 553 Auth required responses

Autor: John Robinson
A: exim-users
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Want to generate 553 Auth required responses
At 09:40 06/08/2002 +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
>On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, John Robinson wrote:
>
> > So... before I go seriously wading in and getting my hands mucky (though
> > actually the code looks pretty tidy, clean and polished!), may I ask those
> > people here who are experienced with the code, would it be very difficult
> > to have the authenticators set a variable along the lines of auth_attempted
> > which could be inspected in the ACLs?
>
>No. I have in fact added this to the Wish List, but of course you'll get
>it quicker if you do it yourself. :-)

Just so...

> > And similarly, how about getting an
> > ACL to send a different numeric response?
>
>That would be a lot harder. Why do you want to? 550 seems to be the most
>reasonable response:
>
>       550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
>          (e.g., mailbox not found, no access, or command rejected
>          for policy reasons)

>Your situation seems to be the last of those.

Well, only really because the Eudora knowledgebase suggests Eudora behaves
differently with a 553 response.

I would be quite happy with just varying the text on a 550 response though.

>That seems reasonable, but I'm cynical enough to suspect that it won't
>make a blind bit of difference because people don't read these messages
>(even when their MUA shows them to them).

Ah yes, that's true. But at least when they call their sysadmin or tech
support (me) I can make them read it to me, and tell them what they've done
wrong, without having to log in to the relevant server and start grepping
the log files. That's why I like highly expressive error messages.

Thanks again,

John.

--
John Robinson                                     Tel +44 7771 784058
  Though my soul may set in darkness / It will rise in perfect light;