Re: [Exim] Incorrect authentication data

Autor: Matt Bernstein
A: Nick
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Incorrect authentication data
At 01:09 +0100 Nick wrote:

>> Are you using shadow passwords? Does the user Exim is running as have
>> permission to read the relevant files? Does authenticating by hand (ie
>> telnet) work? (You'll have to do the base64 encoding by hand!)

>I've not tried to do the "by hand" auth but I have set a static user and
>password and still I cant get authentication to work,

Interesting. NB I haven't seen the relevant bit from your Exim config.
Here is mine, which certainly worked before I altered it to protect the
guilty:

login:
  driver = plaintext
  public_name = LOGIN
  server_prompts = "Username:::Password::"
  server_condition = ${if pam{$1:${sg{$2}{:}{::}}}{yes} \
    {${if and {{eq{$1}{backdooruser}}{eq{$2}{backdoorpass}}}{yes}{no}}}}
  server_set_id = $1

>I have built Exim to run as root,

Why do you need to do this? Most people would run Exim as its own user.

>I cant understand why I am having so many problems, sendmail auth was a snip
>and exim is now running on the same machine as the was working sendmail with
>auth

I guess the next step is to tcpdump the connection to check that Eudora is
sending the right thing.

Matt