[Exim] new to exim/smtp authorization

Autor: jaydrake
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] new to exim/smtp authorization
Hey all, I've been reading through the Exim documentation, specifically on smtp authorization and relaying, but I seem to be hitting a brick wall.

First off, having recently set up smtp auth on a completely different server (xmail) and closed up an open relay that until that point in time had gone unnoticed, I looked at my Exim configuration and decided it wouldn't hurt to go with this same basic configuration.

Knowing that my clients all use pop3 with plain text passwords and that it's a real pain to educate users, I decided I would go ahead and authenticate with plain text as well. What I've run into so far is that when I insert the following (seemingly simple...) rule, Exim won't restart.:

host_auth_accept_relay = *

If I remove that rule, everything is okay, but Exim does not do smtp authorization. (Which seems obvious to me...) What I don't understand is why that line, which seems to be somewhat important to this process, causes such issue. My only thought is that there should be more involved that I am missing?

Jay Drake