Re: [Exim] ETRN related

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Sean Witham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] ETRN related
On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Sean Witham wrote:

> I am obviously not up to date with exim's ETRN support and how that
> can be used to trigger scripts.

smtp_etrn_command

> That aside I see no problem with the
> defered queue actually being a file, but could you then get all the
> timeout rules, return to sender bounces and other such features of
> exims queue management.

True, but OTOH you can also implement other things that Exim doesn't
have, such as a limit on the amount of disc space used by the waiting
mail for a given host. And what most people seem to want for timeout
rules in this situation is to make them message-based. Exim's own rules
for inaccessible hosts are host-based.

> I imagine someone would have to re-implement
> exim queue management but for batched files rather than the standard
> queue. To do that with scripts strikes me as a bit tricky.

If you deliver using BSMTP into one-file-per-message directories,
removing (or bouncing) old messages isn't too hard in a script. If you
set a quota on the directory, you automatically get a limit on the
amount of space used by the given host.

"Exim queue management" sounds very grand, but actually there isn't
really much to it.