Re: [Exim] ETRN related

Author: Sean Witham
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] ETRN related

Philip Hazel wrote:

> You can, in fact, implement exactly what you describe by getting Exim to
> delivery mail for off-line hosts into local files. The local files are
> then your new "queue". While the host is off-line no Exim resources are
> used in processing this queue. You can write scripts to manage it any
> way you like. ETRN can then re-inject these messages into Exim when the
> host is online.

I am obviously not up to date with exim's ETRN support and how that
can be used to trigger scripts. That aside I see no problem with the
defered queue actually being a file, but could you then get all the
timeout rules, return to sender bounces and other such features of
exims queue management. I imagine someone would have to re-implement
exim queue management but for batched files rather than the standard
queue. To do that with scripts strikes me as a bit tricky.

--Sean