Re: [Exim] [exim 3.31] strange retry behavior

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] [exim 3.31] strange retry behavior
On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:09:16 +0100 (BST), Philip Hazel
<ph10@???> wrote:
>On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Marc Haber wrote:
>> on 2002-07-29 04:30, my host starts bouncing e-mail for example.com
>> "retry time not reached for any host after a long failure period".
>
>What is the output from "exinext mx.example.com"? Do the log entries
>that mention that host give you any details as to when it first failed?

Deliver: mx.example.com [(ip address)] error 110: Connection timed out
first failed: 27-Jul-2002 01:15:16
last tried: 29-Jul-2002 17:56:10
next try at: 29-Jul-2002 19:56:10

The host was never reachable. I was never able to deliver e-mail
there.

>> Can anybody please explain that error message?
>
>It means all hosts for that domain have been down longer than their
>maximum retry times.
>
>> The minimum queue time
>> is configured to be 48 hours, and my exim starts bouncing about 36
>> hours after last successful delivery - even if it was supposed to
>> queue that particular e-mail for five days instead of default two.
>
>Exim does not queue emails for 5 days[*]. It queues emails until a host has
>been down for 5 days[*]. This is not the same thing.

So if I have a domain

domain1.example.com IN MX 10 mx.domain2.example.com

and my exim has retry settings both for domain1.example.com and
mx.domain2.example.com, the setting for mx.domain2.example.com will be
used for mail to localpart@????

Greetings
Marc