RE: [Exim] Exim and Spamassassin pipe problem

Author: Simon Barr
To: Exim Users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Exim and Spamassassin pipe problem
> transport output: Exim version 3.30 debug level 9 uid=8 gid=8
> 2002-07-11 00:05:05 17SQRJ-0004Rf-00 ** simon.barr@???
> D=spamcheck_director T=spamcheck: Child process of spamcheck transport
> returned 2 from command: /usr/exim/bin/exim

[Snip]

> Exim version 3.30 debug level 9 uid=8 gid=8
> Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: DB 2.4.14: (6/2/98)
> Caller is an admin user
> Caller is a trusted user
> originator: uid=8 gid=8 login=mail name=mail
> sender address = NULL
> smtp_setup_msg entered
> SMTP<< MAIL FROM:<root@???>
> SMTP<< RCPT TO:<simon.barr@???>
> SMTP<< DATA
> search_tidyup called
> LOG: 4 MAIN
> unexpected EOF while reading SMTP data (header) from mail
> Handling error in batched SMTP input
> An error was detected while processing a file of BSMTP input.
> The error message was:
>
> 554 Unexpected end of file

Hi all,

I'm back and it is all working with no errors, but I am really
puzzled as to why.

I was getting the above errors with mails returning from spamc
having been checked to see if they were spam or not. In an
attempt to find out if Exim or SpamAssassin was at fault I changed
the transport from

transport_filter = /usr/bin/spamc
transport_filter = /usr/bin/spamclog

spamclog being a script containing
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/tee -a /home/spamc-logs/spamc-in.log | /usr/bin/spamc | tee -a
/home/spamc-logs/spamc-out.log

This meant I could see what was being sent to spamc and what spamc
was sending back. Next I just had to wait for it to go wrong
and then examine the log files. But it hasn't gone wrong since
I started logging all the traffic 5 days ago!! Before I started
logging it would go wrong maybe 10 time a day.
Could just passing everything through tee have 'fixed' it? If it
has, then how?
Does anyone have any ideas?

I may just have tee direct its output to /dev/null and leave it alone!!

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Simon Barr
Systems Engineer

Chelsing Assemblies Ltd