Re: [Exim] Using exim with getmail

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Laurent DARRAMBIDE
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Using exim with getmail
> i'm a little baffled at what Laurent is trying to do here.

very sad not beeing understood.really :-((
I think I must blame my english skills.

> i use getmail to scavange a number of pop/imap accounts and haul email back
> to my laptop when it's on the net. one of the major advantages of getmail
> over fetchmail is that it doesn't reinject email into the MTA, but delivers
> directly into mailboxes. therefore, there should be no need for a getmail
> config to reference the MTA on the system; you should just be specifying
> the delivery target and style (e.g., mbox vs. maildir).

I maybe should explain further more :
1) I get my mail with getmail from my ISP pop accounts
2) some are directly forwarded to mbox(es) associated with those accounts
3) some must be filtered; I used to use (good english ???)

POP <-- fetchmail --> procmail --> mbox, but found procmail's syntax cryptic
sometimes, so switched to

POP <-- fetchmail --> exim (filter) --> mbox : easy to do using
mta="/usr/sbin/exim -Y -d %T" in fetchmailrc

discovered getmail, far more convenient for me:

POP <-- getmail --> mbox : OK
POP <-- getmail --> procmail + Spamassassin {filtering} --> mbox : OK
POP <-- getmail -x-> exim {filtering} -x-> mbox : FAILURE

so how to : transmit mails collected by getmail to exim for filtering
them. In other word, what's the trick to get getmail delivering mail to
exim through a pipe to get the mail filtered ???

> i'm still using traditional delivery to /var/spool/mail, so my getmail
> configs look like this:
>
> [Richard's SS Mail]
> server = localhost
> port = 8111
> readall = 1
> username = rwelty_suespammers.org
> password = XXXXXXXXX
> postmaster = /var/spool/mail/rweltyss           # Default delivery to this mbox
> message_log = ""                                # Don't log for this account
> recipient_header = received                     # only look for recipient headers
> recipient_header = x-envelope-to                #   in "Received:" and "X-Envelope-To:" headers
> no_delivered_to = 1                             # Don't add a Delivered-To: header for this mailbox

> where port 8111 is a local stunnel daemon pointing at the pop3s port on the
> remote system.

thanks for conf file, helped to improve mine

> this is all completely off topic for exim as exim really has nothing to do
> with it, and probably should be discussed on the getmail list instead.

sorry, but the getmail list is quite dead (already looked at it several
times), I of course RTFMed, and send an email to the creator of getmail
several days ago, without any feedback yet.

I do apologize for the long post and the trouble i can cause.
Don't want to annoy anyone, but only get a little help.
maybe some french users are wandering here, a post in my native language
would make things easier.

Thanks for all anyway

--
Laurent DARRAMBIDE, France