Re[2]: [Exim] Using exim with getmail

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Richard Welty
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re[2]: [Exim] Using exim with getmail
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:06:44 -0400 (EDT) "Dave C." <djc@???> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Laurent DARRAMBIDE wrote:
> > I can't use exim as postmaster in the gemailrc file; neither
> > postmaster="| /path/to/exim" nor postmaster="|/path/to/exim login"
> work.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> exim is not a filter - exim is an MTA (Mail Transport Agent), eg, a mail
> server (that happens to support something it calls filtering when
> delivering messages)

i'm a little baffled at what Laurent is trying to do here.

i use getmail to scavange a number of pop/imap accounts and haul email back
to my laptop when it's on the net. one of the major advantages of getmail
over fetchmail is that it doesn't reinject email into the MTA, but delivers
directly into mailboxes. therefore, there should be no need for a getmail
config to reference the MTA on the system; you should just be specifying
the delivery target and style (e.g., mbox vs. maildir).

i'm still using traditional delivery to /var/spool/mail, so my getmail
configs look like this:

[Richard's SS Mail]
server = localhost
port = 8111
readall = 1
username = rwelty_suespammers.org
password = XXXXXXXXX
postmaster = /var/spool/mail/rweltyss           # Default delivery to this mbox
message_log = ""                                # Don't log for this account
recipient_header = received                     # only look for recipient headers
recipient_header = x-envelope-to                #   in "Received:" and "X-Envelope-To:" headers
no_delivered_to = 1                             # Don't add a Delivered-To: header for this mailbox

where port 8111 is a local stunnel daemon pointing at the pop3s port on the
remote system.

this is all completely off topic for exim as exim really has nothing to do
with it, and probably should be discussed on the getmail list instead.

richard
--
Richard Welty
rwelty@???                                 Averill Park Networking