Re: [Exim] system filter using procmail?

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Dave C.
To: Soon-Son Kwon
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] system filter using procmail?
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Soon-Son Kwon wrote:

> Hello folks...
>
> Is there anyone using procmail for filtering all the incoming messages
> instead of using exim's builtin system message filter facility?
>
> I actually searched through the web site but only found that
> the built-in exim system filter and procmail can be used simultaneously
> but no details. (http://www.exim.org/FAQ.html#TOC302)
>
> I am using debian GNU/Linux woody with exim 3.35.
>
> Any comment will be greatly appreciated.

Er exims filtering concept and the way procmail works are entirely
seperate beasts.

procmail is more a user-end agent, for sorting messages into different
folders based on whatever criteria one wants to setup.

procmail actually expects the message to appear on stdin, and then it
sends it wherever it needs to go. It can be used standalone, or can be
invoked in place of normal delivery by an MTA (exim, sendmail, etc),
either by the sysadmin setting it up system wide, or individually by
users on a system which supports piping from a user .forward file

exim's filtering specifically does NOT work like a pipe - its just a
language specifying what is to be done. Nothing actually happens until
after the entire filter file has been processed. exim's filtering
language does NOT work seperate of exim.

The 'user' filter concepts can function in a similar (but not identical)
capacity to what procmail does, but there is no procmail equivalent for
the 'system' filter capability of exim.