Re: [Exim] Exim and user account...

Autor: Dave C.
A: ch045-2
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim and user account...
On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, ch045-2 wrote:

> > Ergo, cyrus and qpopper can't share a mailstore. However, I beleive
> > cyrus now supports POP as well. I can however tell you that cyrus is a
> > boar to get working properly.
> That's not a problem.
> Normaly, i use pop retrieve with qpopper.
> I use only imap for the webmail and suirrelmail have a specifique plugin to
> retrieve pop account and put the result in the associated users imap account.
> This really a good job!

Ugh. But if it works for you..

> > exim doesnt create any accounts.
> Really?
> But exim creat the user file in the /var/mail directory. Isn't it?
> So it recognize a unix account to do that..

Thats not the same thing as creating an account. It will receive and
deliver mail for an existing account. It does not _create_ accounts.

> > > 2. So, is it secure to create a unix-account for each mail user?
> > It can be.
> It's enough to use shell /bin/false?

It might be, if your system security model is otherwise good.

> > You dont want your usaer accounts in the mail group.
> > Users do not need to have shells for exim to deliver mail to them
> What is the best group for the mail users? (i suppose i must creat a
> specific?)

Thats entirely site-specific..