Re: [Exim] Re: Exim rejecting email routed from ISP

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
To: Cam Ellison
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Re: Exim rejecting email routed from ISP
On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Cam Ellison wrote:

> * Derrick 'dman' Hudson (dsh8290@???) wrote:
>
> >Hmm.  Say, what does
> >    $ grep 127.0.0.1 /etc/hosts
> >show?

> >I bet it is
> >    127.0.0.1   localhost
> >and thus gethostbyaddr() tells fetchmail that your machine is
> >"localhost".  (this affects exim and sendmail and any other program
> >that uses gethostbyaddr() as well)  To fix that, make the first item
> >in the name list be your FQDN.  I determined (via experimentation)
> >that that is what gethostbyaddr() returns.

> You won your bet.
>
> Sorry to be obtuse, but what do you mean by "name list"? Putting the
> 127.0.0.1 localhost entry last has no effect -- I get the same
> result. The other entries are for my LAN. I have a dynamic IP
> address, so I can't do much about setting up an assignment (other than
> writing a perl script to re-write /etc/hosts, not an easy task since I
> haven't gotten to the end of the first chapter of Learning Perl :-) ).

I think he means change the line to:
127.0.0.1    myhost.mydomain    localhost

I think that this line would have to go after the entry with the real
IP address for that name, which might be hard if it keeps changing,
although /etc/nssswitch.conf might be able to help.

I've never seen any name but localhost given to 127.0.0.1

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna