Re: [Exim] Re: Exim rejecting email routed from ISP

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Cam Ellison
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Re: Exim rejecting email routed from ISP
* Derrick 'dman' Hudson (dsh8290@???) wrote:

>Hmm.  Say, what does
>    $ grep 127.0.0.1 /etc/hosts
>show?

>I bet it is
>    127.0.0.1   localhost
>and thus gethostbyaddr() tells fetchmail that your machine is
>"localhost".  (this affects exim and sendmail and any other program
>that uses gethostbyaddr() as well)  To fix that, make the first item
>in the name list be your FQDN.  I determined (via experimentation)
>that that is what gethostbyaddr() returns.

You won your bet.

Sorry to be obtuse, but what do you mean by "name list"? Putting the
127.0.0.1 localhost entry last has no effect -- I get the same
result. The other entries are for my LAN. I have a dynamic IP
address, so I can't do much about setting up an assignment (other than
writing a perl script to re-write /etc/hosts, not an easy task since I
haven't gotten to the end of the first chapter of Learning Perl :-) ).

>| I have been running fetchmail as root (unwise, I know, but I was
>| unsure at the time about how else to set it up, and then forgot to
>| figure that out and change it). I guess I'd better read up on
>| fetchmail again and straighten that out.
>
>If you're running it from cron it is easy to run it as yourself. One
>way is to use 'crontab -e' (as yourself) to edit your crontab. Then
>cron will run it as you. Another way, if cron runs it as root is to
>put "su camellison -c" in front of the command. Alternatively if it
>is run from the system crontab you can just specify the user to run as
>in front of the command.

I have changed the owner of fetchmail to fetchmail, group mail, and
have been running at as a daemon. Running it from cron sounds like a
better idea.

Cheers

Cam
--