Re: [Exim] Reducing number of Exim processes

Author: Greg Ward
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Reducing number of Exim processes
On 18 July 2002, Patrice Fournier said:
> > Jul 18 11:46:36 kronos spamd[3495]: connection from localhost [
> > 127.0.0.1 ] at port 43612
> > Jul 18 11:46:36 kronos spamd[3495]: cannot fork: Resource temporarily
> > unavailable
>
> Messages coming from mailman are not spam checked again right?

No they are not -- spamd was being asked to check a bounce message that
resulted from the Mailman post. The bounce message came back pretty
quickly, when Exim was still in its initial forking-off-in-all-
directions phase. My suspicion is that there were so many Exim
processes running, that there wasn't room (in the process table, not in
memory) for spamd to fork. Note that exim and spamd both run as user
'mail', so I don't know if I'm bumping into a per-user limit or a system
limit.

(Hmmm: until yesterday, spamd ran as root and did setuid() after
forking. And I don't recall seeing spamd unable to fork before -- that
indicates I'm running into a per-user process limit.)

        Greg