Re: [Exim] system filter to catch bounce messages

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: David Markham
CC: Exim User (E-mail)
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] system filter to catch bounce messages
On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, David Markham wrote:

> I want to catch bounces messages and deliver them to a certain address.
> Reason for this is I have a server sending mail out from a certain address
> and if any recipients cause a bounce I need it to be sent to a different
> mail address than the original from address.

Why not get the server to send out the messages with an appropriate
envelope sender (return path) in the first place?

> This is because if the original
> mails are delivered correctly they may be replied to and yet a different
> alias is then used to direct the mail elsewhere.

Replies go to addresses in the headers, not the envelope. So you can
have them different.

> Anyway I though of doing this in the system_filter file I have in /usr/exim
> with the following syntax.
>
> Ignore the #
>
> #if $local_part matches <>
> #then
> # deliver address@???
> #endif

That won't work at all. With respect, you seem to be very confused about
the way bounce messages and system filters work.

1. In a system filter $local_part is never set (because a message may
have many recipients).

2. When $local_part is set (e.g. in routers) it is never empty - after
all, the message has to be addressed to some recipient!

3. A bounce message has an empty SENDER address.