[Exim] Re: request for version 4.10 (local_scan)

Author: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: request for version 4.10 (local_scan)
--
On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 02:17:25PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
| On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

| > Is there any chance you could include the dlopen-localscan patch in
| > version 4.10?

| No, I'm afraid not. It's too late. In any case, I'm only doing small
| changes for 4.10. I consider the whole issue of dlopen to be a "large"
| one, as indeed is the whole issue of developing the local_scan()
| interface, for which there are a number of suggestions pending.

Ok. I was under the impression that 4.10 would have bigger changes
(bigger than 4.06 at any rater).

| > Ideally you'll include it by the time you work out the interface for
| > putting local_scan configuration options in the exim.conf file.

| See? That's one of them... :-)

Yep.

| I'm still not at all sure that I should actually be touching the dlopen
| stuff at all.

What I would find ideal is if you included a basic dlopen
implementation (such as that patch has) in the standard release. Then
the prepackaged versions (.deb, .rpm, whatever else) would have the
dynamic loading functionality already built-in and each user wouldn't
need to patch and build their own version. It would make your exim
release self-contained and extensible from the outside.

Then the multiple functions and every other implementation would be
distributed separately. Having the basic dlopen implemenation in the
standard exim release makes distribution of the extended local_scans
easier since all they would require is dropping a .so in place and
pointing a config option at it.

That would be much more convenient (once 4.x, with the dlopen, is in
debian ...) for managing upgrades.

| Once you can add options to the runtime configuration for
| local_scan(), you can then write a local_scan() that does all the
| dlopen stuff itself - and can handle multiple functions, etc., etc.

As you can see, though, I (well, David really) have already written
the local_scan that does all the dlopen stuff. All that remains is
copying it to your source tree :-).

-D

--

Pleasant words are a honeycomb,
sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/