[Exim] log_selector options that may help accounting

Góra strony
Autor: Marc Haber
Dla: exim-users
Temat: [Exim] log_selector options that may help accounting
Hi,

we would like to do accounting on the e-mail that our exim is moving.
We are still running on exim 3, but are currently preparing the
transition to exim 4.

With exim 3, it would have been necessary to parse the log files, and
set the <= lines in correlation with the => lines to get hold of the
sender and the sending host, that data being necessary to account for
outgoing e-mail. This could be a pain if a message stays in the queue
for longer time and the log is being rotated in between.

exim 4 has the log_selector option, which has an "sender_on_delivery"
option which can help this.

Would it be possible to have a "sending_host_on_delivery" option that
logs the IP of the sending host in the => line? With
sender_on_delivery and the sending_host_on_delivery option set, one
would only need the => line to be able to account every mail message
to a customer since we would have sender, sending host, recipient and
the host where the message was delivered to in a single log line. This
would greatly ease the accounting process, eliminating the need for a
database holding information about mail messages that have been
received but not completely set.

Ideally, one would have the amount of data transmitted on a
non-successful delivery attempt in the log line so that unsuccessful
delivery attempt could be accounted as well.

Is it possible to have this added to a future version of exim? If so,
we would probably halt all development efforts of generating
accounting data out of the old log file format.

Greetings
Marc