Re: Re [Exim] multiple ip address (re)routing

Author: James P. Roberts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Re [Exim] multiple ip address (re)routing
On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Jon Kyme wrote:

> > Is it possible to configure exim to route specific domains through

one isp
> > and other domains through the other? (each isp is on a different ip

and
> > each different ip is on a different network card..)

If you want Exim to send OUTGOING emails via two different interfaces,
you might need to set up two instances of Exim, each associated with an
appropriate IP interface. I could be wrong; perhaps there is a clever
way to use a router to do it. I can't help you here.

If you want INCOMING emails to enter via different IP interfaces, you
only need one Exim (just tell it to listen on the additional
interfaces:port(s)). In this case, I see two ways to interpret your
question:

(1) You want incoming emails TO different domains you are hosting to
come in via specific interfaces... In this case, you just need the
correct MX entries, in the appropriate DNS servers, for each of your
domains. Obviously, you need control over the DNS records for the
domains in question.

(2) You want to route incoming emails based on where they are FROM. In
this case, I think you might be able to do it with the latest version of
BIND (I think 9.2.1 is the latest), by setting up multiple "views,"
which allow you to specify alternate DNS entries depending on the source
of the DNS request. In this way, you can specify that certain domains
get a different MX record answer than others. In this case, you'll need
to be operating your own DNS servers. (That's what BIND is, by the way,
it is "the" DNS server daemon, for anyone that might be wondering. I do
realize that most of the list will already be intimately familiar with
it.)

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.