Re: [Exim] Preventing forged From: headers (exim 3.36)

Author: Robert Lister
To: Leonardo Boselli
CC: ice, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Preventing forged From: headers (exim 3.36)
> > YOU CANNOT DO for regular user.
> > Suppose two scenarios [very common ..]
> > Two of your users subscribe to a list, outside your domain, so everi
> > message sent by one of them is sent to the other. so the list
> > processed message will come from aoutside, whit a local from.
> > You cannot set an exception list, since you should know all
> > possible routings for any possible list.
> > This message would be bounced and some server (say yahoo, for
> > example) would just kick out the user generating bounces, without
> > his/her cause, just due your settings !!
>
> I don't really understand what you mean.

Okay. I've read this again. What I think you mean is the possibility of a
list posting (aside from my own list problem.)

The original 'From:' header of that list posting will come back in for a
user who is subscribed to the same list at this site, and so it may reject
it on that basis.

Thanks. I see.

Damn.

But the "From " envelope header (as opposed to "From:") in the transaction
will presumably be from the owner address of the list, which we can allow
for I suppose.

But I only want to really apply it to things going to the lists, which
appear to be "from:" my domain but aren't from something in this network.

Rob

--
Robert Lister    -        robl@???    -    http://www.lentil.org