[Exim] Re: Restricting Aliases for Majordomo Lists

Autor: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Re: Restricting Aliases for Majordomo Lists
--
On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 02:55:36PM -0500, Cory Daehn wrote:

| After being the embarassed one to have a user's infection with the HaHa
| virus finding the <1023882439@???> in the header and manage to
| e-mail addresses) I would like to restrict the outbound alias (now
| renamed to txcoooking-list-outgoing & possibly moving all the outbound
| aliases into their own alias files) so that only majordomo can send a
| message to them. (not sure if user = would be majordom or
| majordomo@localhost)

One solution is to use a MLM that doesn't require a separate "alias"
to route messages to the recipients (eg mailman).

I certainly hope majordomo uses a local pipe rather than smtp to
inject the message to the list. If it does, another solution is to
make the user majodomo runs as a "trusted" user, and have it set
$received_protocol. This is done with the -oMr command line option.
Then add a condition on the director/router handling the alias
expansion to only accept if $received_protocol matches what you have
majordomo set it to.

| for now, I've just #'ed out the majordomo outbound alias for that list.

Another (ugly) solution is to "remove" the alias until you want to
send out another newsletter, then reinsert it only for as long as exim
needs to expand it. This presumes that the list is a one-way channel
and isn't needed at arbitrary times.

HTH,
-D

--

Python is executable pseudocode. Perl is executable line noise.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/