Re: [Exim] Dots in local parts

Top Pagina
Auteur: Matthew Byng-Maddick
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Dots in local parts
On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 12:00:21PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> Easy enough to block local parts starting with . in the ACL. What do
> other people think? Should I make this change to the default
> configuration?

I'd love to see this, personally. The number of systems that don't
understand about the standard's existence, or for whatever reason
believe that they are exempt from the standard is something that,
IMHO, should be curbed. If we're all talking the same language, and
there is a specification for that language, our communication will
work much better if there isn't an encouragement to deviate from
that language.

However, I suspect I'm in a minority of one with this viewpoint.

It does seem sensible to restrict "^\..*" due to traditional mappings
of email addresses to files on disk, and the traditions of dotfiles,
which are "hidden" from a normal list, and contain configuration or
preference information.

MBM