Re: [Exim] Newbie looking for lots of help....

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: John (TJ) Penton
Para: Jim Pallister
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Newbie looking for lots of help....
On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Jim Pallister wrote:

> > > All I need is a setup that allows local windows users to send mail to
> > > one another. External mail to the internet is handled elsewhere.
> > >
> > > How do I setup alias files for users.
> > > Do i use mailbox or maildirs - if so where do the go?
> >
> > If you want to use POP, then you will have to actually deliver the emails
> > for each user - use aliases only to allow for users who have more than one
> > address. ie. I might have a mailbox jpenton, but then use an alias
> > John.Penton to deliver to the same box.
>
> Can I set up a virtual domain through one user account so that I don't have
> to create real users?

Exim 4: I would do something like this: create additional routers similar
to the example "localuser" router, but without check_local_user. Instead
add the appropraite domains statement and add the appropriate conditions
to match the emails you want. They then get created mailboxes, even
though they don't exist as users.

> > Mailboxes are often kept in /var/spool/mail/<user>
> > So long as exim delivers to the same place (as set in the local delivery
> > transport) as the POP server is looking, it doesn't matter where.
>
> Keeping with virtual domains - can you make Maildir -- somthing like this:
>
>             /var/spool/mail/vitrual_domain/user_name/Maildir

I don't know anything about maildir, but you can specify where exim stores
mail. Alter the file option in the local_delivery transport within the
example config. You can put the appropriate expansion strings in here so
that it stores mail where you want.

> > > I've read the exim doc's and I get the concept of how it process mail
> > > but I can't figure out what files I need to configure
> >
> > As said, use the sample exim.conf. You shouldn't need to edit it much.
> >
> > Later, if you start doing aliasing, you will want to create an alias file
> > too. Exim shouldn't need any other files iirc.

Someone made the point that you will need an /etc/aliases file with the
example configuration file (quite right, my mistake). You could get round
this by commenting out the aliasing router if necessary.

John

--
Tigger, who was a very Bouncy Animal, with a way of saying How-do-you-do,
which always left your ears full of sand, even afer Kanga had said,