Re: [Exim] Newbie looking for lots of help....

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: John (TJ) Penton
Para: Jim Pallister
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Newbie looking for lots of help....
On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Jim Pallister wrote:

> All I need is a setup that allows local windows users to send mail to
> one another. External mail to the internet is handled elsewhere.
>
> How do I setup alias files for users.
> Do i use mailbox or maildirs - if so where do the go?

If you want to use POP, then you will have to actually deliver the emails
for each user - use aliases only to allow for users who have more than one
address. ie. I might have a mailbox jpenton, but then use an alias
John.Penton to deliver to the same box.

Mailboxes are often kept in /var/spool/mail/<user>
So long as exim delivers to the same place (as set in the local delivery
transport) as the POP server is looking, it doesn't matter where.

> I've read the exim doc's and I get the concept of how it process mail
> but I can't figure out what files I need to configure

As said, use the sample exim.conf. You shouldn't need to edit it much.

Later, if you start doing aliasing, you will want to create an alias file
too. Exim shouldn't need any other files iirc.

> When  run exim now and send mail from a PC to another PC exim logs state
>     unknown local-part "user" in domain "office.sys"

Does the user "user" exist on the system which Exim is running on? If
not, create the user with the useradd command (or edit /etc/passwd).

Unless you configure it especially to do so, Exim won't deliver mail to
users that don't exist on the system (other than forwarding it to another
mail server).

HTH
John

--