[Exim] Exim not trying all MXs for a domain

Author: EXIM Users
To: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: [Exim] Exim not trying all MXs for a domain
On a server running Exim 3.34 we're seeing issues delivering to a particular
domain (capgroup.com) where Exim doesn't seem to be trying all the available
MX records for the domain. There are 14 MXs available for this domain, but
only the first 5 are being tried and all of these are down. The remaining
MXs are working fine but Exim never attempts to use them.

I've checked the spec, faq and rfc2821 to see if there is any reason why an
MTA should be doing this, or if there are any built-in limits in the default
config but I can't find anything relevant..

I've cleared out the entire retry hints, and put a message on the queue with
"-odq", and run "-d11 -M <msgid>" and read through the debug output. There's
nothing there (that I can see) to suggest any problems.

The debug output of the above is at: http://jon.bash.sh/debug.txt

I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious or if this is a bug/feature..
I'd appreciate it if anyone could shed any light on it.

Thanks,
Jon Paxton