RE: [Exim] Re: Mail relay problems

Autor: Dave C.
A: Andy Coy
CC: exim
Assumpte: RE: [Exim] Re: Mail relay problems
On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Andy Coy wrote:

> OK hang on. As I stated originaly I'm a newbie to this, the server was set
> up and running fine I usually just do day to day admin, adding and deleting
> users e-mails through the sql bit. I got a letter stating that these IP
> addresses needed to be added to the system. Tiscali handle NAS and DCHP for
> me and provide all IP addresses. So if my customers dial up and get one of
> these IP addresses from Tiscali I need to allow them all access do I not?
> The problem is I have allowed all these 53,000 IP's relay through my server
> yet they are still getting error 550 relaying denied messages. Why??

If you do really want to allow relay for all of those IP's *ALL* of the
numeric IPs need to be specified BEFORE any names.

BUT, you really dont want to do this, becuase then not only your
customers, but ANYONE on this 'Tuscali' network, anywhere, would be able
to relay through your server. You need a way of identifying just *you*
customers. Unless you have a set of IP's that ONLY your customers will
be connecting on, the only way to do that is with SMTP AUTH. That is
where your customers have to supply valid username/passwor dcombination
to identify themselves.